If you were tuned into the 86th Annual Academy Awards, you likely noticed some new (and some old) formal wear trends on the red carpet. Any of these classic or fashion-forward Hollywood choices can add style to your upcoming wedding or prom. Here's the top 5 in no particular order…
1. White Dinner Jackets – Jared Leto and Matthew McConaughey chose to stand-out from the sea of black tuxedos with a white dinner jacket and black formal pants. Whether you pair the ensemble with a classic black bow tie and cummerbund or colorful accessories, it's a great look for Spring and Summer weddings and proms.
2. Black Bow Ties – Hallelujah! Bow ties are back... and there was no shortage of them on the red carpet this year. It's an accessory that has always remained in style, but with the popularity of Windsor Ties in the last few years, we haven't seen much of them on the runway. You can bet that bow ties are here to stay, since they add style and sophistication to any tuxedo ensemble.
3. Slim Fit Tuxedo Styles – Bradley Cooper looked impeccable in his slim fit tuxedo with peak lapels. Not only did his tuxedo jacket fit perfectly, but his slim fit pants were the ideal length... without that bunchy fabric look at the top of his formal shoe. Slim fit tux styles can work for a variety of body shapes! You don't have to be shaped like a stick to make it work. If you prefer your garments to “fit" your body, a slim fit styling may be the correct choice for your next formal event.
4. Slate Blue Tuxedo – There's no better way to stand out from the crowd than with a colored tuxedo. Kevin Spacey did just that with a slate blue tuxedo with black satin lapels. He paired his tuxedo with black classic accessories, but you should not be afraid to use colorful ties or vests to make a splash.
5. Skinny Lapels – Long gone are the days of the wide lapel. I mean, let's be serious, Dumbo's ears had some stiff competition back in the 90's. But those fly-away lapels have since been replaced with slimmer options. Choose a skinny shawl lapel for a super sleek look that will elongate your body. It's sure to make every gentleman in your party look great.
The Academy Award Celebration was a wonderful night to root for your favorite stars and get a look at today's most popular trends in men's formal attire.